Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Return of Philip Spaulding

Lock your doors and shoot the neighbors-Philip Spaulding, son of Alan (well adopted son), ex-husband to Blake Marler, Beth Raines, Harley Cooper, Olivia Spencer, Mindy Lewis and India, and father to Lizzie, James, Jude and Emma will return in person to torment everyone in Springfield.

I have one question: why?

Guiding Light seems likes they are grasping at anything that will drive up viewership. I went along with the change in production and format-unlike most fans, I embraced it since I've been introduced to this style of camera work through the telenovelas that populate the tv landscape.

I even accepted that this time, Josh and Reva were not going to get back together. Reva grew up and chose the person with whom she could build a relationship with in the here and now.

I don't understand what bringing Philip back could bring to the overall story. At least, not Philip the Insane and Evil. I wish they would intend to bring back a more penitent Philip who would have crafted a different life in the interim. Maybe he joins Ed Bauer in Africa or unlike a lot of the Spauldings, he comes to terms with the person he was and is becoming better. Maybe he and Harley find a way to reconnect and they do good. (Personally I am rooting for a 'reformed' Philip and Mel pairing).

Evil Philip just means more of the same. More Spaulding walking over people and more complicated plots that serve no purpose. More demonstrations of irredemption-boring, at least to me.

I won't be waiting in anticipation for 2/9/09, which is the date of Philip. If I see that Philip gets a more interesting path to walk, then I'll tune in.

No comments:

Post a Comment