Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Return of the Jennifers (kinda)

Recently I have been made aware that some Jennifers have returned.

Jennifers? Which Jennifer? There are many Jennifers out there especially in soapland-'Jennifer' was insanely popular in the 70s and 80s for both characters and actresses alike. You can figure out about how old (rather, how young) an actress is if you know her name is 'Jennifer.'

Well, the first Jennifer sighting I was made aware of was on 'As The World Turns.' For some months a Jennifer Munson look a like has been bopping around. Her name is actually Rose and she just happens to look like the last incarnation of Jennifer Munson as portrayed by Jennifer Ferrin, who I last remembered as being a part of a little theater production in Boston called "The 39 Steps" in 2007. Jennifer Ferrin was also the Jennifer Munson I liked the most on ATWT.
I hated that they killed her character off, even though her death gave not only Jennifer Ferrin great scenes to go out on, but also allowed her co-star, the late Benjamin Hendrickson, to go out on a 'win.'

I think the intial elements of the storyline (the suggestion that Jennifer Munson was alive) was a testing of the waters by the writers. They got away with bringing Dusty back from the dead, why not Jennifer too? I suppose feedback was not positive, since it then was revealed that her name was Rose and not Jennifer. I sit on the fence about it. Initially I was like, "what the?" However if they could have enticed Jennifer Ferrin back and made it plausible, I might have bought her return.

The second Jennifer sighting was in promos for the Lifetime Movies of the Week "Custody." Jennifer Finnigan, who will always be the only Bridget Forrester for me, stars in it. Usually I would gouge my own eyes out than watch anything on Lifetime, but I miss Jennifer Finnigan.
I hated that her shows 'Committed' and 'Close To Home' were cancelled. She was good, her castmates on those shows were good and I also hated that they killed off her character on 'Crossing Jordan' (and then dumped the series not too much later-I love my use of the mysterious 'they.') I wish they would bring her back to 'The Bold and the Beautiful,' so they will start writing good storylines for Bridget again.

Anyway in 'Custody,' Jennifer plays the one night stand of a NBA player, who fights her for custody of their son who is physically more Black looking on the weak premise that a Black child can only be raised by a Black mother and father (apparently he locates a Black mother so that his case is stronger). I know the story will likely be lame, but Jennifer is good at making the obnoxious bearable because you want to watch her.


I am looking forward to seeing Jennifer Finnigan, even for just a bit. As for Jennifer Ferrin, I hope we will see her in something soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment